We buy used and rare books in all fields, from single volumes to large collections. We deal with individuals, lawyers, trustees, libraries, and more. Interested in selling us your books? Please read on.
How to Sell at Our Store
- If you have anything rare, unusual, or signed, please call before coming in. That allows us to ensure we can give your books the evaluation they need.
- Our shop is located at 9 West Street in Boston's Downtown Crossing. We look at books in store Monday through Friday from 9am to 5pm. Please bring a photo ID with you in case we are interested in purchasing your book. Please note that we do not buy books from people under 18 years of age.
- We are happy to look at anything under 200 books without an appointment - if you have more books to sell, please call ahead.
- There is an independently owned parking lot two doors down from our shop. As a courtesy, we will reimburse you for the time it takes us to examine your books. If you have a car larger than a four-door sedan, please call ahead as we are not able to reimburse the flat-fee incurred for over-sized vehicles. We cannot guarantee parking will be available as we do not run that lot.
- If we are interested in purchasing your books, we will offer you cash or store credit. Store credit is usually 20% more than cash offer. For amounts greater than $50, we will write a check.
The price we pay for your books depends on current stock, condition of books, and demand. Pricing is subjective and can fluctuate relative to the needs of the store at any given time.
House Calls & Appraisals
We travel daily (sometimes considerable distances) in order to purchase books, from large estates to single volumes. Please call and ask for more details. We welcome lists, inventories, photographs, emails and videos to help us assess your collection. Please click here to learn more about how to send us images of your books.
The Brattle Book Shop offers full appraisal services for estate, tax, and donation purposes. Please call at 617-542-0210 or toll free 1-800-447-9595 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire further.
FAQ & Additional Information. We are always happy to look at your books, however we cannot guarantee we will be interested in purchasing them. Please take a moment to read our FAQ page for a more comprehensive breakdown on what we do and don't buy .
Taking the next step! We need you to describe and photograph your books, click here to see detailed instructions on what we are looking for.